Wednesday, March 31, 2010

We have reached Day 31.

I cannot believe it has been a month... 4 weeks.... 31 days since I started this crazy experiment. There were weak moments, but hey everyone is human. I did get to experience life without the internet and television, and it has been an interesting experience.

When something becomes so habitual for you, it can be very hard to break. I'd like to say I've definitely BROKEN the television and internet habits, as they previous existed in my life. I'm concerned with going back to the way things were because I'm afraid I'll forget what I've learned, and fall back into old ways.

The reason I don't want to fall back into old habits is the fear of losing what I have gained from the experience. I learned that I can't blame my short-comings on these distractions anymore. My laziness, my procrastination, will still exist. My work ethic did not improve during the course of the last 31 days. This was a disappointing realization, but one I needed my eyes opened to. The effort, and focus required to get things done need to come from me. It doesn't lie out in the world to be discovered, I won't find some secret self-help secret, motivational quote or image that will transform me into a sensation, accomplished person. Every single drop of accomplishment I strive for needs to come from my sweat and blood. "There is no substitute for hard work."

I have learned to live more. With more hours in my week freed up, I have more time to accomplish goals (all while ignoring homework, hehe).
- bedroom is finally and truly clean
- had friends actually spend time in bedroom
- the pets'living quarters are cleaner (but impossibly never clean for long)
- my dog, Oliver, and I shared longer walks
- the hermit crabs are enjoying their new crabitat with new foods daily
- reconnected with friends that I hadn't been making time for
- improved consideration of my messes in shared areas of my home
- working on some personal art instead of assignments
- took advantage of some opportunities

Obviously, this list falls short of EVERYTHING I did this month, but those are the highlights. In terms of imagination, I continue to have ideas brewing, but as mentioned above, my work ethic needs more focus. I can't blame anything but myself anymore for not getting things done. And with all the great ideas I have, it's a shame less that half of it ever gets accomplished!

"Don't put off till tomorrow what can be enjoyed today."

I didn't accomplish everything I hoped to during March, but I did learn a lot and intend to continue to improve. I want to thank all of my friends who encouraged me, busted my balls, and helped me through the last 31 days. This has been the Imagination Experiment.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog, and feel like I can relate to you on a lot of points. I'm starting a blog that's intended to help people who are going through a kind of quarter life crisis.

    Check it out if you're interested. I would love to know what you think, and whether it has the potential to help people. The Quarter Life Crisis Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. plz get back to me on garage sale stuffs, mwah xoxo

    ReplyDelete